Thursday, May 16, 2013

Solace


Whenever my younger sister forces me to read her a bedtime story I always seem to go back to one of my favorites. When I was younger I would force myself to memorize the rhyming poem of my favorite book Słon Trombalski. I just enjoyed getting the attention of my whole family as I recited it at any family gathering. The contents of the poem were well known among polish people and it was a comedy about an elephant that forgets everything, the perfect crowd pleaser.

The mere contrast between the little blonde girl with the gap between her teeth with a love for attention and the quiet blonde listening to metal music writing a blog entry in AP Lit that starts stuttering and having her chest tighten every time she has to read out loud in class is uncanny.

I guess it was my parent’s constant reassurance that I was better than all the other kids that made me wave my nose in the air as I walked down the sidewalk. Sadly, not everyone in the whole world shared the same idea.

It’s that childhood naïveté that makes the earth seem like a possession to take. Your parents seem like the gods of truth, the only source for vital information. The phrase “But my mom said” was always a sure win in an argument with your friends. However, the world your parents created for you, the only solace you knew of up until then, is drastically different than the real world. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that the world your parents create for you, and the "real" world are very dissimilar. However, childhood naïveté is also, in my opinion, full of innocent belief. Sure maybe your'e not "best" in the world, but belief that you are unique and special, is half the battle of appreciating your own unique talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you talked about how childhood makes the world seem like a possession, as well as the seeming infallibility of parents. I feel like as we grow up, we see the world for what it truly is, and the façade falls away.

    ReplyDelete