Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Acid Wash Purple

It's so easy to visualize his blonde fohawk weaving among the piles of students wobbling around in the hallways. Always easy to spot with his acid wash purple sweatshirt, receiving eye rolls from most who heard his obnoxious chatter.

Regardless, I admired him. He was who I aspired to be.  In my eyes he was a god.

In contrast, I was a speck of dust.

I smiled when I needed to, I searched my brain to make sure the comment I was about to make would coincide with the opinions of those around me, and I made sure to not move a finger out of place unless I was positive it would be approved by every living being. I didn't comprehend that what I was doing was out of place. That there were people out there whose words spoke their own personal truth. That the key to happiness was not to ensure everyone else's happiness with you, but instead to reflect within oneself and be content.

That's the type of person he was. He was the obnoxious drummer in the back of band class, each tap reigning with confidence. His lips only spoke of the theories determined by his own mind. He wore the cool checkered vans and a multitude of hats, always running his mouth and being a total badass. He didn't care. He was content with himself, and he wore it proudly. He naturally seeped sureness, never stopping to rethink  his statements or  be bothered by others looking down at him.

I glorified him. I yearned to be like him. Sure, I thought he was a total James Dean and would do anything to replace his girlfriend, but my infatuation with him went past that. He was my muse. In moments of doubt I would think, "What would he do?" He lit the flame inside me that let me become a independent being.

The combat boots I wear, the obsessive darkness in all my paintings, and most importantly the ability to form grounded opinions and remembering to keep myself from thinking I'm below others all stems from the obnoxious man I looked up to. Even though saying I owe my life to him is a stretch, I defiantly owe him the transformation from the speck of dust that I was into the band t-shirt wearing blonde that I am.

Sadly, now he dresses like an old man and is a complete unrefined ignorant crude.

But I still regard him as the most influential individual in my life thus far.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautifully written! I love the details you added. The imagery in my mind was hopefully on point with reality. Nice blogging!

    ReplyDelete